Thursday, April 30, 2009

That's a Wrap!

So here we are, you and I. Last day of April, a.k.a last day of National Poetry Month. I vaguely remember promising to write a poem a day, or at least post a poem each day here on the blog.

Yeah.... That didn't happen.

But I did end up reading more poetry this month than I normally do. And I did end up writing more poetry (or trying to write more poetry) than I normally do, as well. I didn't finish many of the poems I attempted, which is why they're not getting any bloggy-blog air time here. Yet. Because I do hope to go back and polish them, keeping in mind what Paul Valéry had to say on the subject: "A poem is never finished, only abandoned." So once I abandon these poem-seedlets, I'll publish them for you to read. Probably. Maybe. Wait and see, will ya?

So let's sign off with one more poem, then -

A Prayer in Spring
by Mr. Robert Frost

Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers today;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.

Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.

And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.

For this is love and nothing else is love,
To which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends he will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill.

No comments: