Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Poemetrics

Guess what, y'all? Today marks the first day of National Poetry Month! (No foolin'!)

Ergo, thus and therefore I thought maybe I'd go all poetical on my blog this month. Don't know if I can commit to writing a poem-a-day for the entire stretch, but I'll see what I can do. And on days I can't (aka won't) write, I'll crack open one of those poetry books on my bookshelf and let my eyes (and yours) feast on someone else's rhyme and verse.

Sound good?

Let's kick it off with some general thoughts on poetry:

Poetry is just the evidence of life.
If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. ~Leonard Cohen

God is the perfect poet. ~Robert Browning

Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. ~Percy Shelley

Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry. ~W.B. Yeats

Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary. ~Kahlil Gibran

Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. ~G.K. Chesterton

No comments: