Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Out, out #&$* spot!

I have been visited by a ghost of my past - namely, the large, horrific cockroach of doom. This time he sought me at my place of work - the last place I expected him. And yet there he was this afternoon, sitting in the middle of the hallway, standing between me and my 2nd cup of coffee of the day. (Fine, who am I kidding? 3rd cup of coffee. But in my defense, Tuesdays are long days.)

The roach was every bit as big and noxious as I remembered him. Fortunately (?) he almost blended into the burnt-orange office carpeting, so I couldn't quite see his disgusting antenae but I'm sure they were there. I swear he looked right at me, and the look in his eyes called out, "Murderer!" It was really quite a Lady MacBeth moment. (That's a Shakespeare reference, y'all. No foolin'.)

I wasn't sure what to do, so I made a face and fearfully stepped over him. I was worried that any other course of action would result in tears and/or screaming, and I figured neither was particularly professional.

When I returned with my coffee, Bugsy was nowhere to be seen. Had I imagined him? After all, it was somewhat incongruous that such a large specimen would be out in the open, mid-day, in my office building. I couldn't decide which was worse: sharing office space with a giant cockroach, or hallucinating about a giant cockroach. Me and my coffee mulled it over for awhile.

Later, on my way to the copy machine, I spotted the roach again, this time perched on the baseboard outside the ladies' room. I kept my distance as he taunted me, reminding me of my past misdeeds to his species. I hope he is gone by tomorrow, though if he is not, his presence in the hallway may be proper incentive for me to give up my coffee habit. That, or find alternative routes to the kitchen.

1 comment:

Girl said...

Um. Ew.

Can't you call building maintenance or something?

Blech.