Friday, October 20, 2006

Multi-Purpose Cleaning Products:
A Consumer Review


 
Everyone knows that cleaning products are great for cleaning, but did you also know they are useful for insecticide?

I am writing this entry in the midst of a mild episode of post-traumatic stress disorder: you see, I have just committed murder-by-cleaning-product. The deceased is a cockroach, roughly the size of Milwaukee. Time of death: 8:20pm, EST. Murder scene: my bathtub.

It went down like this: I went into the bathroom and noticed said cockroach, crawling around the edge of the tub. Freaking out ensued (at least on my part; the cockroach remained nonchalant). He was over 3 inches long, including his antennae, which were twitching in a most disgusting manner.

I was reminded of one of my least favorite books, Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, in which the main character wakes up one morning to discover he has become a large cockroach. It was unfortunate that I should think of this book, because it always makes me want to throw up a little. And what I needed at that moment was not to vomit, but to keep a cool head and act decisively.

I backed up and reviewed my options. The creature was far, far too big to be smashed or washed down the drain. Unsure of how to proceed, I started to panic a little. I called my friend Juan for moral support. No answer; I left a tearful message. I called MadDawg. No answer; another tearful message. Still crying, I considered calling my parents, but decided that I needed to go ahead and act on my own on this one.

As the roach seemed pretty slow-moving, I figured I had the advantage on him. I got a piece of cardboard, with the hopes of lifting him on that and then throwing him out the window. However, as soon as I approached with the cardboard, he scuttled away. More tears on my part.

Recalling recent advice from my friend Denise, I grabbed a bottle of Fantastik All Purpose Cleaner, and began to spray the roach. Instead of the desired effect (namely, death), the spray seemed to invigorate the roach. He ran wildly around the bathtub.

I didn't want to do it - but Fantastik's failure left me with little choice. I grabbed a can of Scrubbing Bubbles, and buried the buster under a mound of Fresh Clean Scent antibacterial foam. This completed the dirty deed - the roach had breathed his last. (Just to be safe, I scooped him up on the cardboard, threw him out the window, and made sure the window was locked shut.)

So if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, I recommend you reach for the Scrubbing Bubbles and forget Fantastik. Now though, one question remains: what cleaning product will scrub my conscience clean from the guilt of murder?!

3 comments:

Girl said...

LOL...when I lived in FL I noticed something that looked like a hamster run across my living room floor. I turned on the light and realized it was a wolf spider...they are huge and tend to run AT you instead of away from you.

I didn't want to grind it into the carpet, I didn't want to squish it with anything so I grabbed the next best thing: oven cleaner.

Did the job...after A LOT of spraying. The weirdest part was the way the spider shriveled up upon application and ended up the size of a pea.

And he never had to worry about having food stuck to him again :)

Jenn said...

"jennifer prayed for me...had me on her mind...took the time to pray for me (oh yes she prayed)...i'm so glad she prayed, i'm so glad she prayed, i'm so glad she praaayyedd fooorrr meeee"! :) thinking of you, fellow bug killer, with gusto. May your guilt be wiped clean.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who used cleaning products to kill roaches! I can't stand the smell of Raid, so I use 409 or Scrubbing Bubbles too!