Thursday, April 12, 2012

Play More

TheaterStage


I love that little stage, pictured above.  It's one of my favorite places to stand in this city.

That scheduling break I had been angling for back in the fall didn't actually come to fruition until my last Improv class ended in late February.  My March calendar was - unfortunately - filled with worry, which I found out can consume your free time as easily as Improv can.  It wasn't until the past few weeks that I was actually able to take some deep breaths and explore this new-found phenomenon: free time.

What did I discover?

I discovered I miss Improv.

Ha.  Well, good to know.  While I'm not about to overload my schedule once again with classes and performance groups, it's helpful to realize that I really like this time-suck of an activity.  It energizes me, challenges me, makes me laugh.  And it's worth seeing if I can't find that elusive balance - one where Improv is a regular part of my schedule, without dominating my schedule.

* * *

As I was considering all these things, I got an email from the creative director of my theater.  She wanted to know if I could be a guest performer in a main-stage show this week, playing with a team who's performed together for 5+ years, a team comprised of people who have all been my coaches / teachers at some point.  It was an out-of-the-blue honor to be asked, totally trippy, a little mind-bottling.

I was super nervous, but I said "Yes!"

Because that's the first rule of Improv.



No comments: