Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ringing It Out

Salvation Army Rocks Out

I passed these Salvation Army members on my lunch break the other day.  They were ringing their bells and dancing to a recorded version of Britney Spear's "My Only Wish (This Year)."

Do you know this song?  It's officially terrible.  But unofficially awesome.

Other songs I include in this category:

A Christmas To Remember - Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers let us in on a little secret: the key to a good Christmas is "a fast-talkin' lover and some slow-burnin' wood."

Last Christmas - I know some people have strong feelings (of hate) for Wham's much-maligned, oft-covered holiday classic.  Admittedly, it has very little to do with Christmas and everything to do with getting dumped on Dec. 26th.  But I kinda can't get enough of it.

Our Love is Like a Holiday - Michael Bolton took the concept of John Denver's "Jet plane," a song about going on the road and leaving loved ones behind, and added jingle bells.  The result is cheesy, but oh so dance-able.  "I've been to Paris, London, L.A.; I've felt the tropical sun on my face; this Christmas we don't need to get away; 'cause our love is like a holiday."  Well, amen, Michael Bolton.

And new this year...

Mistletoe - Justin Bieber misappropriates biblical imagery ("Wise men followed a star...the way I followed my heart") to describe the love he feels for someone named "Shawty." 

Terribly awesome.  Awesomely terrible.

No comments: