Thursday, December 29, 2011

Old People Say The Darnedest Things
Episode #9: Fightin' Words

St Regis Hotel Wooden Soldier
St. Regis Hotel, NYC

An older gentleman was dining alone at a table behind us, during the lunch rush at an Upper East Side diner.  He stood and gathered his things to leave - shrugging on his coat, adjusting his plaid wool scarf - and accidentally bumped into my date in the process.

"Sorry, young man."

"No problem, sir."

"Say, I like this shirt you have," the old man said, touching him on the shoulder, "I might have to take it from you."

"Well, you'll have to fight me for it, sir," he replied good-naturedly.

The old man grinned, looked across the table at me, and said, "I'd rather fight you for her."

Cutest compliment ever?  :)

And sir - between you and me, the fight's in the bag.  I'd gladly lunch with you any day.


No comments: