Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Believe
December Photo Project Day #12

Macys @ Christmas
Macy's at Herald Square

Today would have been Mr. Frank Sinatra's 95th birthday.

I celebrated by listening to his music, especially the Christmas songs.  I have discovered a new (to me) Frank song this season - "I Believe" - a frothy, upbeat little number (don't analyze those lyrics too hard). I love finding Frank songs I've never heard before - just when I thought I knew it all, along comes the Chairman of the Board with something new to tell me.

A couple of years ago, my great-aunt passed away.  As her daughter was cleaning out Aunt Helen's house, she came across some photos of Helen's sister - my grandmother - and passed the pictures along to me.  One of them I had never seen before: my grandmother, my Mimi, looking so young, with her hair set and a smile on her face.  She's been gone for 17 years now; after all this time, to get a new glimpse into who she had been, to see a snapshot from a hitherto unknown moment of her life, was such a treasure.

"I Believe" isn't exactly the same sort of treasure, but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

And what I'm trying to say is this: Happy Frank Sinatra's Birthday, everyone!

May we continue to be pleasantly surprised with new perspectives and new songs to sing.

No comments: