Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sock It To Me

LES Playground
Playground on the Lower East Side

Oops. Seems like I took a little accidental break from blogging lately. It’s been a rough couple of weeks. I’d catch y’all up on the goings-on, except…I don’t want to. I don’t really want to relive it.

That maybe sounds more drastic than it needs to – just a bunch of hard family stuff and heart stuff. Life stuff. None of which really needs to be aired in public. All of which served to remind me, one more time, that adulthood is NO picnic, nor day at the beach, nor walk in the park.

Man. Growing up? Not for the faint of heart.

But there have been glimpses of grace along the way, these past couple of weeks. And maybe I will share those. Because maybe glimpses of grace are more valuable than tales of woe anyways, eh?

One form of grace I’ve been especially thankful for lately is laughter. That’s right – I’m here to tell you that laughter is a good thing (stay tuned for my revelatory posts on how murder is bad, and puppies are cute).

Because I haven’t felt much like laughing lately, those times where I have found myself laughing – at Improv class, or at Improv shows, or with friends, or while watching Reno911! Keeping Up Appearances – have been unexpected and welcome respites.

What is it about laughter? There is the physiological component – what laughter yoga and laughter clubs try to capitalize on. But I also think it just pulls me out of my head, makes me quit the worrying for just a sec and be present in the here and now. And I think it also gives me some sense of control – yeah, things might not be going great, but I’m going to choose to laugh anyways. Laughing in the face of danger, or sorrow, or whatnot.

In any case. I’ve been especially appreciative of those moments spent laughing lately. Here are some quotes from people wiser than me on the subject:

So many tangles in life are ultimately hopeless that we have no appropriate sword other than laughter. ~Gordon W. Allport

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

Even if there is nothing to laugh about, laugh on credit. ~Author Unknown

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis. ~Jack Handey

No comments: