Friday, July 23, 2010

Out of My Way, Ocean Spray

Ocean Spray on 33rd Street

On a recent morning commute, I found myself face-to-face with a giant bottle of blueberry juice.

I wasn't really surprised to see it looming before me.  You see a lot of weird things on these streets. But I was mildly annoyed that it was in my way.  I hate when things are in my way.

I'm guessing most New Yorkers would agree.  "Out of my way!" seems to be the predominent NYC mantra.

I once had a conversation with one of the nicest, kindest, most even-tempered people I know, and she revealed that she (even she) often felt like pushing people when they were walking too slowly in front of her.  So it seems to be a city-wide sentiment.

Be it a giant marketing ploy, a group of tourists, a parade, a police barricade during the president's visits, or a person handing out fliers for free massages - if it is in our way, we are annoyed.

I'm not entirely sure why that is.  Certainly, some people in this town are muy importante and have somewhere to be.  Time is money, and all that.  But I'm not one of those importante types - no business will fail if I arrive a little late, no market will collapse if my walk down Fifth Avenue takes twenty seconds longer than usual because of a slow-moving senior citizen.  So why the rush?

I don't know.  Maybe I should take a lesson from that slow-moving senior, who not only doesn't seem to be in any hurry, but also doesn't seem the least bit annoyed by the gaggle of women in front of us - all wearing matching lavender tee-shirts that read "It's Brenda's Birthday!" beneath a screen-printed photo of a woman (presumably Brenda) - as they jam up the sidewalk traffic in front of Rockefeller Center.

Yeah, maybe I need to take a lesson from the senior citizen.  Slow down. Quit my hurrying.  Learn to enjoy life's little amusements, like matching lavender tees.  Focus on the journey, not the destination.

Or maybe this needs to become a reality:

No comments: