Tuesday, June 01, 2010

This Tricky Plan

Dock in the hamptons
East Quogue, The Hamptons


I was recently reminded (via Trish Ryan's "40 Days of Faith" project) of "The Wood Song," by the Indigo Girls.

Listening to this song again took me on a trippy trip back to high school, when Swamp Ophelia was in constant rotation on my stereo (I had it on cassette tape, 'cause I'm old like that).  Funny how a piece of music can connect you so quickly and viscerally to a point of time in the past.

I remember liking "The Wood Song" (IG's trademark harmonies are so prettily employed throughout it) but it was overshadowed by my love for other songs on that album - "Power of Two" and "Least Complicated" in particular.  Those songs spoke louder to me, back then.

Now though, when I listen to "The Wood Song," the lyrics hit me in a new way.  And they seem so true and beautiful.  The Girls are singing about the courage it takes to face a journey where the outcome is unknown or uncertain, where we don't always get answers to our questions.  They acknowledge that growth is often a result of weathering life's storms, rather than avoiding them.

A nice reminder.  A great song.  Here are some of the lyrics (in case you'd forgotten like I had):


From The Wood Song, by The Indigo Girls

No way construction of this tricky plan
Was built by other than a greater hand
With a love that passes all our understanding
Watching closely over the journey

But what it takes to cross the great divide
Seems more than all the courage I can muster up inside
But we get to have some answers when we reach the other side
The prize is always worth the rocky ride

But the wood is tired and the wood is old
And we'll make it fine if the weather holds
But if the weather holds then we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go

Sometimes I ask to sneak a closer look
Skip to the final chapter of the book
And then maybe steer us clear from some of the pain it took
To get us where we are this far

But the question drowns in its futility
And even I have got to laugh at me
No one gets to miss the storm of what will be
Just holding on for the ride

The wood is tired and the wood is old
We'll make it fine if the weather holds
But if the weather holds we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go

No comments: