Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the Twenty-First Day of Christmas

Daily Photo: Freaky and antique-y on E. Houston St.

I'm coming at ya from beneath a haze of cold medication, so I'm not quite sure what to say, nor how to say it coherently. Bear with me. I'm also listening to Christmas music (what else?), Bing Crosby's "Snowbird" in particular, and the twittering jazz flute in the background has me sufficiently distracted, recalling the jazz flute scene in Will Ferrell's "Anchorman." (What else?)

Distractions and medications aside, it's been a pretty good day. Sure, I had a minor kitchen-related accident this morning (who knew peanut butter could burn like that?), then at church we had no heat nor power which made for one cold hour-and-a-half. Afterwards I fell in a pile of snow (not on purpose) and spent several hours wandering the city in a (mostly) fruitless search for Christmas presents for the fam. But all's well that ends well, and mine ended with good phone conversations and a good dinner.

In other "good things" news, the Lower East Side (or, Loisaida, for my Latino readership) was also good to me today. I got pants hemmed for $6! That's unheard of in this city. What's more - my tailor turned it around same-day, and as this happy customer left his shop, freshly-pressed pants in hand, he said to me, "Ciao, mi amiga!" Friendly service is practically unheard of as well, these days. I dig it.

Now, dig this: Only four days until Christmas! Are you ready?

No comments: