Wednesday, April 02, 2008

'Tunes

Have you seen that episode of The Office? After Carol breaks up with Michael (for oh, so many reasons), Mike sits forlornly in his office, wearing a Dunder-Mifflin bathrobe, listening to the sample of James Blunt’s song “Goodbye My Lover” over and over on iTunes. Dwight asks him, “Why don’t you just buy the whole song?” And Michael answers through teeth clenched in pain, “I don’t have to buy it. I just want a taste of it. I just want a little taste of it.” You remember?

I was just having a Michael Scott moment, where I found myself listening to the iTunes preview of a-ha’s “Take On Me” over and over. “Take…on…me (take on me!) take…me…on (take on me!) I’ll…be…gone…somethingsomething incoherent something...” You know the one.

It’s a fun song, right? Takes you back, doesn’t it? Maybe makes you want to dance like Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club? I keep hitting ‘Play’ to hear the sample again. I just want a little taste of it; don’t need to buy the whole song. If my iTunes library is the soundtrack to my life, I’m just not sure this song fits in. I try to picture myself having a “Take On Me”-apropos moment, and I have difficulty. Cynical 2008 Kristy fears that the up-tempo exuberance of “Take On Me” disqualifies it from achieving permanent “whole song” status in her iTunes music collection & personal life soundtrack.

Well, that’s kinda sad. Someone needs to take my Patty Griffin and Gordon Lightfoot cd’s away from me. I gotta make room in this life/soundtrack for more a-ha moments.

1 comment:

That City Girl said...

a) l-o-v-e that office episode....love it...isn't that the Benihana Christmas episode? the one with Dwight yelling across the table to the waitress about the correct way to butcher a goose?!! (of course, only b/c of jim and his crazy shenanigans): "CINDY, CINDY, hold its neck back, insert the knife beneath the jaw..."

b) i LOVE Gordon Lightfoot! well that one song anyway: "if you could read my mind..." it makes me cry every time. how have we never talked about Gordon Lightfoot before? man, so much ground to cover.