Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's Out There & I'm Missing It!

What's "out there"? Oh, just the whole rest of the world. The English countryside, Krakow, Bali, lakes I've never seen, cheeses I've never tasted, fast-talking natural-fiber-wearing people I've never met. I'm stir-crazy for travel lately. Looking at pictures of foreign locales and reading OPTB's (Other People's Travel Blogs) doesn't help - vicarious living just isn't cutting it these days. I want to go, too!

If you don't hear from me for awhile, it could be because I'm real lazy about writing. Or...it could be because I snapped, quit my job, and jumped ship to Guatemala.

If we're being honest here (and I think we should be, don't you?) it's probably due to the former (i.e. laziness), but I like to believe it could be the latter - that I really could just up-and-go and let the world be my oyster: slimy and weird-looking (?). I want to believe the tethers of "fiscal responsibility" and "pragmatism" and "the weakened U.S. dollar" are not so binding that they can't be overcome and sidestepped, when heeding that siren song of the Open Road.

Until I decide to test those tethers and break free from the Land of Beige Cubicles, here I sit - holding out hope my passport will (soon) see the light of day again...

No comments: