Saturday, February 02, 2008

Candlemas

I was just reading a CNN article about Groundhog's Day (the rodent predicts 6 more weeks of winter! Rejoice ye fellow lovers of cold!) and was interested to learn today's zany holiday is actually tied to an ancient Christian feast day - Candlemas.

Not only was I unaware of the origins of Groundhog's Day, I was also unaware of what Candlemas was all about (although the name sounded vaguely familiar). A quick search of ye olde internet revealed that Candlemas (falling on February 2nd, 40 days after Christmas) celebrates the presentation of Jesus at the Temple in Jerusalem. (Described here in the Gospel of Luke)

Thinking about this story (a beautiful one of promises, patience and prophecy) I was reminded of Fra Angelico's depiction of the event, posted below. When I first saw this painting several years ago in Florence, I was struck by how much Jesus looked like a Torah scroll, with his head and feet sticking out like the finials. I like that imagery: Jesus as the very embodiment, fulfillment of the Law.

Just thought I'd share a little art and wish you all (all 2 of you) a very merry Candlemas!


No comments: