Monday, January 21, 2008

KristyWes to Netflix: You Don't Know Me at All!

For those of you who have not yet had the joy of cheery red envelopes bearing DVDs directly to your mailbox, let me 'splain something to you: Netflix provides movie recommendations to its customers, presumably based on each customer's preferred genres as well as their ratings (per a 5-star scale) given for previously-viewed movies. Occassionally their recomendations peak my interest and make some sense, given my taste in movies. Often, though, they're way off. What exactly made them think I would enjoy watching a documentary about a dirt bike competition? Sometimes I suspect Netflix has an algorithm loose or something.

Today I logged on to the site to see what movie was next in my queue (Eagle vs. Shark - hooray!) and quickly glanced at their latest recommendations for me. Apparently, based on the fact that I enjoyed Waiting for Guffman and The Office: Series 2, Netflix recommends that I check out the Royal Opera's production of Verdi's Rigoletta.

Hmmm. Ok....?

I am perplexed as to what similarities Netflix drew between Verdi's dramatic masterpiece and these mockumentaries. Can any opera buffs enlighten me?

2 comments:

SRH said...

I don't know what they have in common either, but I do want to second your excitement over Eagle vs. Shark, we love it in my house.

I'll be sleeping in the bushes don't come looking for me.

--Signed Dangerous Person

Sonja said...

Hello, friend-- we definitely need to be Netflix buddies... so I will totally invite you...