Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Getting Schooled
“A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak.” -Michael Garrett Marino

“Say whhhaattt?” -Kristywes
Autumn is the “back-to-school” season, and as of this week, I am officially back to school! I resumed my Hebrew classes this Tuesday. New school, new teacher, (some) new classmates; same 3,000+ year-old language. I’m excited about the direction we’re heading this semester – hopefully a little less grammar instruction and fewer goofy practice readings (if you’d ever like to hear Rumpelstiltskin or Cinderella recited in Hebrew, just let me know) and more reading right from the actual bible and other significant texts. Good stuff.

I’ve also become a bona fide graduate student and enrolled in my first graduate class (a survey of Old Testament Theology). I’ve been happily ordering my books, organizing binders and papers, and otherwise behaving like the big dork that I am when school is involved. Such eagerness will extend right up until when I actually have to do some work, then – watch me lose interest. :) But no, I (hopefully) jest. I have the best intentions to be a good student, this time around.

There’s more to life than book-learnin’, though, so I’ve got a couple other things brewing for autumn. Firstly, I plan to Get Aggressive with Culture. This is the name I’ve bestowed on my efforts to take advantage of New York’s cultural offerings, while I’m still living here and able to do so. I’m off to a good start (been to 3 plays in 3 weeks) and have a couple more events lined up. So much quality music, theater, and literature are being presented around the city – I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to take it in, AND be inspired by it to create my own.

Secondly, I’m off and running with the goal of Getting in Touch with My Heritage. I’m Polish (with the last name to prove it), but I don’t know very much about being Polish. What do Poles (and Polish-Americans) think, feel, like, dislike? What defines Polish literature, humor, cinema, world-view? How does one dance the Polka, play the accordion, celebrate national holidays? There’s a pretty large Polish community in and around NYC, so I’m going to tap into that resource and find out, culminating with a foray into Greenpoint, Brooklyn in search of the “Perfect Pierogie.” Stay tuned.

No comments: