Thursday, October 05, 2006

Brighton Beach Memoir

I made a brief escape from the city yesterday and headed out to Brighton Beach. The beach has always seemed to be a conducive setting for me to have good quiet times with God - be it a beach in Connecticut, Puerto Rico, or yes, even Brooklyn (old Russian men in speedos notwithstanding).

Though I know God is as ever-present with me in the city as He is at the beach, somehow it's just easier to focus my mind and thoughts and heart on Him while sitting on the sand and staring at the horizon. Here is what other people had to say about such things, taken from a favorite song and a favorite book:

Something about the ocean - makes me rise up and praise;
Something about the heavens - makes me stand in awe again;
Something about the sunrise - reminds me of Your faithfulness;
Something about the ocean - and I'm lost in love again.
-"Ocean" by Ten Shekel Shirt
* * *
"Those mornings, the beach was my synagogue and the waves and gulls were audience to my prayers. I stood on the beach and felt wind-blown sprays of ocean on my face, and I prayed. And sometimes the words seemed more appropriate to this beach than to the synagogue
on my street."
-My Name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok

1 comment:

Jenn said...

one of my favorite songs too - beautiful. even better when Lamont sings it for you in person! *oh yeah, we're buds now since we met in thailand in march! very cool. his songs are awesome - for God and many about abused children from his heart. check out his org www.jfci.org!