Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What's In A Name?

(Source)

As noted before, I kinda have a thing for Mark Twain.

No, I was not able to get through A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.  And no, I never read Tom Sawyer in high school.  (Though to be fair, I didn't really read any books in high school.  That shouldn't be taken as a personal slight against Twain.)

Still - there's just something about him.  He was so d*mn cheeky and pithy; a rogue in the best sense of the word.

Recently I ran across this picture of one of Twain's notebooks.  A collection of funny-sounding names?  I have a similar list in a Moleskin of my own.  Kindred spirits?  I'd like to think so.

"Clemens always carried with him a small notebook in which he recorded matters great and trivial—business notes, addresses, personal errands, literary ideas. 
In the spring of 1884, momentarily toying with the notion of a physician trying to write a play, he filled seven pages of his notebook with a list of potential characters, including "Rectum Jones" and "Scrofula St. Augustine.""  - MT at Play

And don't forget -

Siphillis Briggs!!


Dysentery Jones!!

Diarrhea Hutchinson!!



Tell me my love is not justified.



No comments: