Saturday, March 17, 2012

Once, I Went To Spain

LeonHostal#1
León
Dear Spain,

¿Cómo está usted?  I am fine, gracias.

I've been thinking about you recently. For a long time I didn't - couldn't - think about you, because you reminded me of someone I didn't really want to be reminded of.

But lately your name keeps surfacing - in newspaper articles, in blog feeds, in conversation.  References to pilgrimage pop up, too, so I've been studying that again. And looking at pictures of our time together, and remembering the long, long walk down that ancient road.

Sometimes I'll find a relic of you in my room - my hiking boots, the red backpacker poncho, my cathedral certificate, a guide book - and I'll remember.

And the memories are less tinged by that other, they're becoming more mine. And I'm glad of that.

Now - finally - fondly,



BarcelonaRowHouse
Barcelona

No comments: