Thursday, March 04, 2010

Old People Say the Darndest Things


Diamond District #1


I was walking through the Diamond District the other week, cutting cross-town on my way to the subway.  It was cold.  I trudged along, hands in coat pockets, trying to shake off the work day while mentally reviewing my To-Do list for the evening ahead.

The sidewalks were populated with store owners greeting one another as they closed up shop for the night, and slow-moving tourists, and young professionals on their way to Happy Hour, and other people who defy classification.

Such as the older gentleman I passed who had repurposed a fire hydrant as a chair, and was sitting watching the world walk by on the sidewalk before him. 

New York is a town of go, go, go.  We all have somewhere to be, and we're all invariably late to get there.  It's rare to see someone just sitting.  Doing nothing.  I wondered what was wrong with him.

He apparently was wondering the same about me.  As I passed, I felt him give me a once-over glance and then...  And then.  And then, he said this:

"Heya - she needs a man!" 

Taking a quick pause for reflection, he continued again, announcing to the world with a certain smugness, "Yes. She needs a man."

Dammit.

Unique Settings


(In other news, I'm in search of a new after-work cross-town route.  One less likely to make me cry.  Let me know if you've had positive experiences with, say, 48th Street.)

2 comments:

SRH said...

Oh child. Old men are the WORST!! I was walking through the North End with a friend who was visiting from out of town and we passed an old (fat) man sitting on the bench. My friend (who had recently gone from a size 14 to a size 4 through a year's worth of hard work) was carrying a Mike's Pastry box and the guy shouted at her, "you shouldn't eat that, your gonna get fat!"

Another friend in the process of losing weight had a guy come up to her, put his hand on her stomach and say baby?

So yeah,forget about death panels, there should be muzzle panels for old men.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

Oh wow. Sounds like something that would happen to me!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!