Monday, March 08, 2010

And the World Spins Madly On


The Sandpit from Sam O'Hare on Vimeo.

If you have five free minutes, you might enjoy watching this video.  I know I did.  In addition to the photography being uber-nifty (info on the film-maker's technique here), it was just plain good for me to see New York from a different vantage point.1

So often, I run back and forth in the same rut - keeping to the same neighborhoods, the same streets, the same train lines.  I can't tell you the last time I was down in the Financial District or Little Italy, or up in Harlem.  I know it's been a long, long time since I caught a glimpse of those heliports and water taxis, not to mention that handball court and baseball diamond you see in the video.

It was good for me to see all of that stuff, to be reminded that New York is a big town with a lot going on - even if I don't often have the opportunity to witness each and every thing.

It was good for me to lift my head out of my daily rut routine and remember that just because I don't see things happening, doesn't mean they aren't happening.  I haven't seen the Statue of Liberty in awhile, but it doesn't mean she isn't still standing watch in the harbor.  Obviously.

But to extrapolate that thought to a spiritual plane - just because I don't see God working, doesn't mean he isn't working on my behalf, moving mountains outside of my periphery, pulling strings behind the scenes, orchestrating things beyond my comprehension.

And therein lies the test of faith - I may not see, and I may not feel, God moving in my life right now, but I'll try to believe that he is.  If New York never stops, never slows, never sleeps - how much more so can I trust that God doesn't either?

"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." -Victor Hugo

1 Fun Fact (for me): I used to spend a lot of time looking at the city from the building you see at around 2:19 in the video. See that building on the right, behind the scaffolded church?  My old office was on the 2nd floor - that's my window!

No comments: