Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow Day

HiLife in the Snow


It snowed, it snowed, it snowed.

I love the city when it snows. I don't have to shovel nothing. Don't have to worry about skidding on slippery roads.

I get to pull on my boots and have a wander through the near-empty streets (looking deceptively clean under their white blanket).

When I stepped outside this morning, all I heard was quiet. (Granted, it was 7:30am, but still - the snow makes things quieter than usual.)

Walking north on Broadway, the only sound I heard was the Zabars employee across the street, scattering salt over the store's sidewalk.

The Starbucks around the corner had a sign taped to their door - still closed. Their employees, slowed by the snow, hadn't been able to get to work yet. Oops.

I imagine many of the regulars would be a bit peeved to see that no-coffee-yet sign. There are plenty of other coffee options in the 'hood, of course, but New Yorkers just generally want what they want, when and where they want it.

Further on, I saw a city bus stuck in an intersection, trying to make a sharp turn onto 81st street. Several tow trucks had arrived to assist. It didn't look like anyone was going anywhere, anytime soon.

Me? I had to get to church on time, plus I had errands to run beforehand. So I trudged on, over Amsterdam Ave. and through the line at the bagel shop, to start my Sunday snow day I went.

No comments: