Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm With Anne

(Source)

Admit it, girls - you've read the books. Several times.

And you've watched the movies. Several times.

And maybe you even imitated Anne's hairstyle(s), tried out her cure for freckles, wished you had a bosom friend of your very own, and dreamed of cycling all around P.E. Island, skirts and braids a'flying.

Well, I know I did. In my secret heart of hearts, I was Anne of Green Gables (in much the same way as I was in turn Jo March and Scarlett O'Hara incarnate, whenever I got lost in those books during my childhood).

But this post isn't about Jo and Scarlett, wise women in their own ways. It's about Anne. And a conversation that she had with two elders, discussing what she's looking for in a suitor:

* * *
"Fred is extremely good," said Anne.

"That's just what he ought to be. Would you want Diana to marry a wicked man? Or marry one yourself?"

"Oh, no. I wouldn't want to marry anybody who was wicked, but I think I'd like it if he could be wicked and wouldn't. Now, Fred is hopelessly good."

"You'll have more sense some day, I hope," said Marilla.

-From Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery

* * *

I'm not sure what reminded me of this particular passage, other than it's Monday afternoon and my mind is grasping for any thought more interesting than my usual, long-running internal debate as to the exact shade of beige on my cubicle walls.

(Today it's looking more like "Desert Sands," but last week I was nearly sold on "Toasted Almond." Tune in tomorrow, when the tide could turn in favor of "Fatigued Khaki"!)

Nevertheless, since this passage came to mind, and since I brought it up, let's have a healthy discussion. Sistahs: would you concur with Anne's suitor criteria, or do you find yourselves in Marilla's camp?

No comments: