Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where?

"If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else." — Lawrence J. Peter

Were I to sum up the major strands of stress I'm wrestling with lately, it would probably be worry over where I'm going with my life, career-wise, and worry over where I'm going in my afterlife, eternity-wise. I'm probably not too unique in that aspect. Aren't these the age-old anxieties plagueing people everywhere?

The thing is, the latter source of worry was something that, until recently, I thought I had under control. I was pretty sure I had the answers on eternity. I could have quickly produced a theological response backed with scripture references and C.S. Lewis quotes, if you had asked.

But recent events have left me feeling raw, fearful, angry, and many other emotions that maybe kinda indicate I wasn't so solidly rooted in that theological response as I had previously assumed. Do I really believe the Christian party-line I've been parroting for 10 years? Am I willing to give it intellectual assent, but not let it seep down deep into my daily actions/ beliefs/ values? Hmmm. I dunno.

But I'm working on figuring it out.

No comments: