Thursday, November 30, 2006

Interviewing (Part 1)

I am in the process of interviewing for several different administrative-type jobs at several different financial services-type institutions. The other day I went on an interview at an investment firm in Midtown. The HR lady I met with (let’s call her Shoshanna, because that was her name) was pretty typical: unimpressed yet polite, professional, perfect hair and perfect make-up. About 10 minutes into the interview, it became clear to me that I did not (no-way, no-how!) want this job. It was also pretty evident that Shoshanna had no intention of offering me the job.

Nonetheless, interview protocol dictated that we march along, feigning interest in what the other person had to say. We could have just been honest and said, “Listen, this obviously isn’t going to work out. I’m outta here.” But that just isn’t done. So when Shoshanna asked me if I had any questions, I – paragon of professionalism that I am - struggled to come up with a few, because that is what is done.

“What do you think the person who currently has this position enjoys about it?” Because nothing you have mentioned so far sounds remotely enjoyable.

“Well, I think she enjoys keeping track of all the details and really taking care of the traders she supports. You know, we have some positions that are just 9-5 and there’s really nothing to do, and the employees are just going nuts from boredom and feeling like “we’re getting paid to do nothing”…whereas this position always has a lot going on, something is always coming up, and I think she enjoys really taking care of the group…”

Here I stopped listening, and wondered how I could interview for one of those 9-5 do-nothing jobs. That sounded great! Should I interrupt Shosh and tell her that seemed more up my alley? Explain that I have a very active imagination/thought-life and trust me, I wouldn’t be bored or go nuts, in fact, I would thrive in an environment like that! But I suspected that would shatter protocol, so instead I continued nodding politely and saying “Mm-hmm” in a way that I hoped conveyed my good work ethic and enthusiasm for the wretched job she was describing.

At long last we reached the end of the interview, heralded by fake smiling, limp handshakes and requisite small-talk about the weather. I escaped to the city streets and shook the investment bank dust off my feet. Off, at least, until tomorrow, when I get to do it all over again at another firm, trusting that God knows what He is doing, trusting that He has a plan. And though maybe kinda sorta hoping that said plan doesn’t involve me answering phones for 6-8 traders, still daily asking for strength to be able to (honestly) say: “Thy will be done.”

No comments: