Thursday, September 21, 2006

Yeah, what's up now, Doc?

Victory was mine today at the doctor's office. I returned to finish the bloodwork that my fainting spell interupted a few weeks ago.

As I waited for the doctor, I tried several strategies to calm my nerves and ensure that I would remain conscious.

First I tried: "Just focus on Jesus, think about Jesus, it's going to be fine, imagine Him holding your hand through it all..."
Then I tried: "Think about Mom, she was a nurse, she's very practical, what would she do?, imagine her holding your hand through it all..."
Then I tried the Jesus thoughts again.
Then I tried: "Ok, just look at your split ends, don't think about anything related to blood, or anything really, just focus on the split ends...split ends...split ends."
Back to Mom.
Some more Jesus thoughts.
Split ends again.
Interlude of wondering why doctors always keep you waiting.
Brieft moment of panic when I feared I may already be hyperventilating.
Deep breaths...deep breaths...

Finally the doctor arrived and starting pulling all the bloodwork tools out of various drawers. And I thought, "Ok, there is no way I can do this. I need to leave. I'll just tell her I need to leave, and that will just be the end of it. I'm fine, I don't really need bloodwork, I'm sure I'm not anemic or anything, so I'll put it off till next year, and I'll just be going now..."

But I was too scared to tell the doctor I was leaving, so I decided to be brave and stay. :)

And it was fine! The winning combination in the end proved to be: **lie down** (sitting up is no good!), look away from the needle, deep breaths, and think of Jesus. Then afterwards, call Mom to tell her how you were a big girl and didn't faint.

At times like these, who can believe I'm 28 years old!?

No comments: