Friday, September 01, 2006

What's Up Doc?  (my favorite movie, and the title of this post)
As my day of departure from work draws near, I'm trying to make as many doctor appointments as possible before time runs out on my health insurance. Today I went to see my PCP for a check-up. She asked the usual doctorly questions (for which my answers are always "no" and I worry, unreasonably I suppose, that the doctor either thinks I'm extremely boring or lying).
Then Dr. L asked if I was under any stress. I said sure, work was stressful, but not to worry, because I am quitting soon. She inquired as to what I would be doing after, and I explained what I want to study eventually (Old Testament studies) and what I would be working on in the immediate future (learning Hebrew). She seemed pretty intrigued, and mentioned that she had enjoyed learning some Torah when her son went through his Bar Mitzvah.
She thought for a moment, then asked how much time Christians spend reading the Old Testament, in proportion to the other scriptures. I said "Not enough!" and explained that's why I wanted to go to school for it, so I could teach others how to read and enjoy this portion of God's word that is so often over-looked and under-studied.
Again I felt affirmed in my decision to take these steps to seminary, and the appointment went along swimmingly, until I brought shame upon my mother (a former Nurse) by completely passing out when they tried to draw blood. My mom tried to reassure me, tonight on the phone, that lots of people get faint during bloodwork, but in her heart of hearts, I know she is bewildered how she came by such a hyperventilating hypochondriac for a daughter. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I have it on good authority that EVERY nurse has a weakness, whether it's feet that gross them out or projectile vomitting they all have an achilles heel. . . .