Monday, June 05, 2006

Folk This!

I have accomplished a long-time goal and finally made it to The Bitter End - New York's "oldest rock club." For those not in the know, the Bitter End, located in the Village, gained fame in the 1960's when it helped launch the careers of Peter, Paul, and Mary (!!!), Bob Dylan, and the like of such folksters & hipsters.

Tonight, my college roommate's childhood friend (who also happens to be my childhood friend's college roommate - long story, small world) was performing as part of a singer/songwriter session at the club. I had previously never met her, but my childhood friend told me she had moved to NYC and had a gig at the Bitter End, so I decided to check it out.

Each time I go to see live music, I always think "Why don't I go to see live music more often?" No exception tonight - the singer/songwriters (oh, how I wish I were a singer/songwriter!) that played were very talented. My friend-of-a-friend did a great job, too.

I didn't feel the Peter-Paul-and-Mary vibe about the place as much as I was hoping, but afterall, a lot can change in 40 years. I hope to get back to the Bitter End sometime soon - not neccesarily for its historic past, but because you never know which of these singer/songwriters you are listening to will be the hipsters of the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this doesn't relle have anything to do with this particular post, but reading your blog I imagine you looking like Amy Adams. lol.
(let's hope you like Amy Adams) <-- however, it's meant to be a compliment. ;)