Thursday, March 30, 2006

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

I have discovered that there is a slightly crazy man in my building. I have run into him twice now in the lobby. This last time he ignored me for a minute while I fumbled to find my keys and get my mail, then he started a conversation by saying, "And another thing I like to do is go down to talk to the fire safety inspector..."

Our conversations are always one-sided (him) and center around all the things that are wrong/broken in the building, and how you have to take action and people don't know that you can take action, but you can because you have rights. And you can't trust the police, with their lies and alibis (he often breaks out in rhyme), no sir.

I always nod and agree, because I listen to Peter Paul and Mary and am very anti-establishment. Also because I think agreeing is the quickest way to end the conversation and escape this neighborly exchange.

This man has clearly lived in the building for quite awhile, perhaps much to the chagrin of the super and landlord. I wonder what he does most days, when he's not downstairs complaining in front of the mailboxes? Maybe he has standing appointments with various public servants, during which he berates them for their "collections but no corrections."

What a character.

No comments: